The student news site of Fort Vermilion School Division

Aurora

How Not to Cure the Writer’s Block

Selah Pelley, HLPS Student Reporter

Writer’s block stinks, especially when you work for the school magazine and your job is literally to write stuff down. So I had the bright idea of looking up how to beat writer’s block, but it didn’t work so well. If you’re reading this expecting to get actual good ideas on how to beat writer’s block, you can just stop reading now, because some of these ideas are just plain messed up.

Okay, so the first thing I found was to make up an imaginary friend. I don’t know why people would ever think this would work, but hey, at least you get a new friend out of it. What you’re supposed to do is give it a name, a birthday, a favourite colour and stuff like that, and then talk to it. You have to be a good friend and do stuff like ask it how its day is going. You could even write it a letter if you wanted to.

But the thing is, your imaginary buddy isn’t only your friend – it’s like your number one fan. It supports anything you do and loves everything you write. So I guess it’s supposed to boost your confidence, or something…?

Another suggestion that was really weird was to read a health magazine. Apparently health magazines are one of the best sources for headlines and blog post inspiration. I don’t know how they figured that out, but I didn’t want to take that advice. I might risk getting healthy, and if that happens I don’t know what I would do. Sigh.

The next one really made me feel bad about myself because it said, “Accept what you’re going to write will be garbage.” And I was all like, “What? I’m a great writer!” And then it said stuff like “That’s okay – everyone is a terrible writer, so you’re no different from the rest!” I stopped reading then, because they were just being mean and making me feel bad about myself. And it’s okay, because then I went to another website and it said stuff like “Don’t force it,” and “Don’t be so hard on yourself.” Yeah, I felt a lot better after that. So I think that’s a good note to stop at.

I guess the moral of the story is to never look to Google for help, because they give the worst suggestions. Instead I asked my mom how to beat writer’s block, and she told me to take a bath. So I did, and it helped. So listen to your mom. Because mothers, not Google, know best.