The student news site of Fort Vermilion School Division

Aurora

Rocky Acres Farm Field Trip

Yesterday we got to take a field trip to the Rocky Acres Farm. We were met by Mr. Chad and Mrs. Lambertus and the Rocky Lane grade 8 class. We began the farm tour by visiting the greenhouse. The greenhouse was cool! There were lots of plants and vegetables. We found tomato plants, lettuce, kale and dill! We got to smell and even taste the dill and most of us really liked it. We thought the snapdragon plant was neat and learned a lot about it from the grade 8 students. We want a snapdragon for our class plant! The berry tree was big and we look forward to coming back and trying some goji berries.

Then we got to tour the barn and outside animals. There were grade 8 students at different stations to teach us interesting facts about the animals we were visiting. We really loved the animals and enjoyed learning about the farm and the animals. We learned lots of really neat facts about the farm animals. We had never seen blue and green eggs before and thought that was pretty cool. We learnt that bulls and cows on see in blue and green and it was a myth that they charge after red! It is because they shake the cloth not because it is colored red. We also learned that sheep can die from being stressed out. So it’s important not to be loud, chase them or separate the mothers from their baby lambs.

We were also very lucky and thankful for the chance to go horseback riding. We learned about grooming and horse safety. Never walk behind a horse without letting the horse know you are there. Horses have two blind spots and they are by its tail and nose! We learned how to be really comfortable on the horses and enjoyed looking for the hidden toys around the ring!

We also got to sit in a real farm tractor! How cool! We also really enjoyed the snack you made for us. YUMMY! The grade 8 class did a wonderful job teaching us about the farm animals and helping us with the bunnies and horses. We found this trip relaxing and an awesome experience. We really think the hard work Mr. Chad and Mrs. Lambertus is pretty great. They were so friendly and helpful to all of us and had really good knowledge of the plants and animals. Mr. Chad was really funny and answered all our questions and Mrs. Lambertus was really nice and fun playing Simon Says on the horses with us.  Thank you so much and we hope to come back again soon!

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Rocky Acres Farm Field Trip”

1. Morris on May 31st, 2016 9:39 am

Sounds like a fun field trip! You learned a lot and had some fun experiences!

[Reply]

2. Sharon Pardy on June 3rd, 2016 11:52 am

Glad you enjoyed the field trip, and learned new things as well.

Sending a special thank you to Rocky Acres, and in particular Mr. Chad and Mrs. Lambertus, for doing this tour, and for doing the Fall Farm Celebration, where your grade 4 class won this trip!!

[Reply]

The Aurora intends for this area to be used to foster healthy, thought-provoking discussion. Comments are expected to adhere to our standards and to be respectful and constructive. As such, we do not permit the use of profanity, foul language, personal attacks, or the use of language that might be interpreted as libelous. Comments are reviewed and must be approved by a moderator to ensure that they meet these standards. The Aurora does not allow anonymous comments, and requires a valid email address. The email address will not be displayed but will be used to confirm your comments.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

*

• Rocky Acres Farm Field Trip

News

World Wide Hearing

• Rocky Acres Farm Field Trip

A & E

National Geographic: Spider Monkeys

• Rocky Acres Farm Field Trip

A & E

National Geographic: Great White Shark

• Rocky Acres Farm Field Trip

A & E

National Geographic: White Tailed Deer

• Rocky Acres Farm Field Trip

A & E

National Geographic: Platypus

• Rocky Acres Farm Field Trip

A & E

National Geographic: Arctic Wolves

• Rocky Acres Farm Field Trip

Showcase

Imagine No Bullying

• Rocky Acres Farm Field Trip

Showcase

What Peace Means to Me

• Rocky Acres Farm Field Trip

Showcase

SNCS Annual Reindeer Run

• Rocky Acres Farm Field Trip

Showcase

Wacky hair day

Rocky Acres Farm Field Trip