The student news site of Fort Vermilion School Division

Aurora

Lakers Crush the Curse!

The Rainbow Lake senior girls’ volleyball team ended their regular season on a very high note. The girls have been working hard all year, but up until Monday night they had not won a single set in over two years. The senior girls have been working on their skills as well as learning a whole new rotation, and it all paid off in the last regular season game against the High Level public team.

Having faced the Bears already this season and losing quickly in 2 straight sets, the Lakers started the first set looking a little nervous. This was also the first time playing in front of the home crowd, and this may have contributed to the slow start. The Lakers started to come back, but not soon enough; the Bears took the first set 25-21. After a rallying huddle before the second set, the Lakers took to the court with more confidence for the second set. They played extremely well and won the second set, their first victory of the season, 25-21. The girls were ecstatic, but the game was not over.

For the first time, the Lakers were into the third and final set to decide the game. The beginning of the set went fairly smooth, with the Lakers reaching the midpoint with a 4 point lead.

At 8-4, the teams switched sides. The gym was roaring with excitement as the crowd cheered on the Lakers.

High Level was not willing to go down without a fight. They came back, each team fighting for every point, until the teams were tied at 11 each. Some rallies were breathtakingly long, putting everyone (including coaches) on the edge of their seats. After some incredible back-court saves by power Tayler Magnuson and a huge presence at the net from middle Katie Linden, the Lakers took the game with a final win of 16-14.

As for Mr. Card, Mrs. Tilley  and I, we couldn’t be more proud of the team and how they played. Every single person gave their all and it paid off. It was a fantastic way to end the regular season, and got us extremely excited for the upcoming divisionals in High Level. We are looking forward to an even better season next year!

– Mrs. Opdendries

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Lakers Crush the Curse!”

1. Gallant on November 7th, 2014 9:36 am

Wow! Very exciting! Great job Lady Lakers!

[Reply]

2. peaches on May 4th, 2015 2:11 pm

cool beans

[Reply]

The Aurora intends for this area to be used to foster healthy, thought-provoking discussion. Comments are expected to adhere to our standards and to be respectful and constructive. As such, we do not permit the use of profanity, foul language, personal attacks, or the use of language that might be interpreted as libelous. Comments are reviewed and must be approved by a moderator to ensure that they meet these standards. The Aurora does not allow anonymous comments, and requires a valid email address. The email address will not be displayed but will be used to confirm your comments.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

*

Lakers Crush the Curse!