The student news site of Fort Vermilion School Division

Aurora

Words from We Day.

Well some most of you that are wondering, We Day is a gathering of over 1600 children who want to take on the role of leadership. I am one of the many children and I thought it was AMAZING to see all of these motivational speakers! And so did many other children my age, older and younger! Makayla Straub says, “it was very inspiring the speakers were great role models, and the speeches we great to take back to our school and tell other students about” I think most people that went to We Day would think the same. Kimber-Anne Morisson, another student that also attended we day says, “its inspirational and it’s a good way to get people to come together for one big reason” most students and teachers say that it was inspirational. Hannah Alper, who was a young inspirational speaker told about a girl named Mallala Yousafzai. She is a 16 year old girl from Pakistan who fought for her right to go to school. On December 31st 2011 she spoke to millions of people about it. She got her right to go to school because so many people stood up and used there voice! But, on October 9th 2012, Mallala was riding home on the school bus when an assassination occurred. 2 talibine gunmen came and the bus and asked Mallala to stand up. So she did. The men shot her in the head and neck. In the days immediately following the attack, she remained unconscious and in critical condition, but later her condition improved enough for her to be sent to the Queen Elizabeth Hospital in Birmingham, England, for intensive rehabilitation, and SHE SURVIVED! They tried to silence her BUT THEY COULDN’T! THEY DIDN’T! There was also a boy named Robin Wiszowaty. He was talking about a boy named Iqbal Masih. A boy who also FOUGHT FOR HIS FREEDOM! Iqbal was born in 1983 in Muridke, a very small, rural village outside of Lahore in Pakistan. At age four, he was sold into bondage by his family to pay for his brother’s wedding. Iqbal’s family borrowed 600 rupees (about $12) from a local employer who owned a carpet weaving business, and in return, Iqbal was required to work as a carpet weaver until the debt was paid off. Every day, he would rise before dawn and make his way along dark country roads to the factory, where he and most of the other children were tightly bound with chains to prevent escape. He would work 14 hours a day, seven days a week, with only a 30-minute break. Iqbal stood less than 4 feet tall and weighed only 60 pounds. At the age of 10, Iqbal escaped his slavery, after learning that bonded labour was declared illegal by the Supreme Court of Pakistan. But he was caught by police and brought back to Arshad. Soon after, the police were bribed and Iqbal was sent back to work again. Iqbal escaped a second time and later joined the Bonded Labour Liberation Front (BLLF) of Pakistan to help stop child labor around the world. Iqbal helped over 3,000 Pakistani children that were in bonded labour escape to freedom, and he made speeches about child labour throughout the world. Iqbal was fatally shot in Muridke on April 16, 1995, shortly after returning from a trip to America. He was aged 13 at the time. Some say that he was shot by a startled farmer, and some say that he was murdered because of his influence over the issue of bonded labor. There was many more inspirational speakers like Craig and Mark Keilburger, co-founders of Free The Children. It was an amazing expirence and lots of children along with me would do it again in a heartbeat! Thanks for listening! – Laurel Davies

3 Comments

3 Responses to “Words from We Day.”

1. Morris on April 17th, 2014 10:52 am

I would have loved to go to WE Day! We were fortunate to be born into a country like Canada. We take many things for granted that people in other countries would love to have: education, freedom, the opportunity to be a child… I’m glad that students from the FVSD could learn about these issues and that we have student who are passionate about helping others! Thanks for reporting on this Laurel!

[Reply]

Laurel Reply:

Your very welcome! it was a truely amazing experience! 🙂

[Reply]

2. Julia.N.S on July 9th, 2014 4:29 pm

I was one of the students from RCS to get to go to Calgary for the 2013 We Day, I thought all of the speakers were very inspirational and they showed us how good we have it here in Canada and ways to help children in poverty.

[Reply]

The Aurora intends for this area to be used to foster healthy, thought-provoking discussion. Comments are expected to adhere to our standards and to be respectful and constructive. As such, we do not permit the use of profanity, foul language, personal attacks, or the use of language that might be interpreted as libelous. Comments are reviewed and must be approved by a moderator to ensure that they meet these standards. The Aurora does not allow anonymous comments, and requires a valid email address. The email address will not be displayed but will be used to confirm your comments.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

*

• Words from We Day.

News

World Wide Hearing

• Words from We Day.

A & E

National Geographic: Spider Monkeys

• Words from We Day.

A & E

National Geographic: Great White Shark

• Words from We Day.

A & E

National Geographic: White Tailed Deer

• Words from We Day.

A & E

National Geographic: Platypus

• Words from We Day.

A & E

National Geographic: Arctic Wolves

• Words from We Day.

Showcase

Imagine No Bullying

• Words from We Day.

Showcase

What Peace Means to Me

• Words from We Day.

Showcase

SNCS Annual Reindeer Run

• Words from We Day.

Showcase

Wacky hair day

Words from We Day.