The student news site of Fort Vermilion School Division

Aurora

Grade 3 FMCS Students Win Nationwide Chickadee Magazine Contest!!

Mrs. MacLean's Grade 3 Students, Florence MacDougall Community School

In the fall, Ainsley Price brought in from home a clipping from her Chickadee magazine. It was a nation wide competition to create, as a class, your Dream School out of recycled materials. Once completed, classes submitted pictures of their Dream School to the editor of Chickadee Magazine within the deadline.  3MacLean worked diligently for the next two weeks on the project. Students brought in mounds of recyclable materials from home. As a class, we brainstormed and created a graphic organizer of what students thought should be in a “Dream School”. From there, we devised groups based on personal interest of each student. The thoughts and ideas soon became reality! 3M had created a “Dream School” fit for kings and queens! A dance studio, movie theater, gym swing, pet sitting area, kitchen, classrooms, staffroom, hockey rink, pool, bathrooms, library and a garden house! Who would NOT want to attend this school! Being a wee bit competitive, Mrs. MacLean decided to not only to submit pictures, but videos of each groups section that they had created and why they felt it was an essential part of the dream school.
The days and weeks passed by and we had not thought any more of our dream school. Then, in mid November, Mrs. MacLean received a very exciting email. The editor of Chickadee Magazine had informed her that 3MacLean had won the grand prize for all of Canada! Over 100 schools had entered the competition. 3MacLean received $350 worth of art supplies as well and being featured in the January issue of the magazine. The announcement was made during the next assembly and was presented by Marc Beland, a school board member. Mr. Crosby and Mrs. Gilbert treated 3MacLean to a pizza party as a gesture of congratulations. As well, Mr Crosby purchased each student in 3M their very our issue of the magazine.
Mrs. MacLean is overwhelmed with pride for how hard 3MacLean had worked on the project. It just goes to show, “you never know unless you try!”

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Grade 3 FMCS Students Win Nationwide Chickadee Magazine Contest!!”

1. Morris on January 26th, 2016 1:12 pm

Wow, grade 3, sounds like you created an amazing school! It would be really fun to be a student or teacher at this school! Congratulations on winning this Chickadee contest! I think this is really awesome because I used to read this magazine with my children when they were about your age. Thanks for sharing this with us! What will you be making with all your new art supplies? 🙂

[Reply]

2. Bridget Penner on March 10th, 2016 7:41 pm

WOW! Great job, 3Maclean! That’s quite impressive, I’m proud of you guys. And thank you, Mrs. Maclean for giving them the idea. Absolutely brilliant. -Bridget Penner

[Reply]

The Aurora intends for this area to be used to foster healthy, thought-provoking discussion. Comments are expected to adhere to our standards and to be respectful and constructive. As such, we do not permit the use of profanity, foul language, personal attacks, or the use of language that might be interpreted as libelous. Comments are reviewed and must be approved by a moderator to ensure that they meet these standards. The Aurora does not allow anonymous comments, and requires a valid email address. The email address will not be displayed but will be used to confirm your comments.

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

*

• Grade 3 FMCS Students Win Nationwide Chickadee Magazine Contest!!

News

World Wide Hearing

A & E

National Geographic: Spider Monkeys

A & E

National Geographic: Great White Shark

A & E

National Geographic: White Tailed Deer

A & E

National Geographic: Platypus

A & E

National Geographic: Arctic Wolves

Showcase

Imagine No Bullying

Showcase

What Peace Means to Me

Showcase

SNCS Annual Reindeer Run

Showcase

Wacky hair day